By Ellen Maddin, The PHA Group Intern
It’s the final day of August and it’s my final day at PHA-Media. Some say, ‘time flies when you’re having fun’ and my month here definitely has.
I remember the 2-minute wait in reception on my first day felt like an eternity. The nerves were mounting and upon reflection; the 2 double shot cappuccinos I’d had that morning were probably not a good idea.
However, the welcome given to me by the Entrepreneurs and Business Team (Abbi, Emily, Celia, Alice, Prisca, Jasmin, James and Stuart) instantly made me feel better. I cannot express how thankful I am to them; their positive energy is infectious, their work ethic is inspiring and their supportive nature radiates across the pods. Two words to sum them up are: Girl Power! Not forgetting, of course, James and Stuart who immediately made me feel part of the team!
Now to the important points…
What I have learnt…(a vast amount):
- I now have a real understanding of how a PR company works
- I have learned how to use Gorkana – vital when creating media lists
- You must be on the ball; constantly keeping an eye on news outlets for coverage opportunities
- Brainstorming ideas is essential especially when deciding on a new pitch angle – two brains are always better than one!
- Being confident is a fundamental part of PR – mine has grown while being here!
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions (everyone is happy to answer them) – it gives a meaning to the work you are doing and it makes it much more interesting!
- It has been exciting to see how all the different parts link together to form an overall strategy!
There have been too many highlights to write about them all so here are my top 3:
- I loved the mini project I was involved in because I could demonstrate my creative skills. It also gave me an insight into the broad range of work PHA do for their clients. Seeing the finished product was a great way to end my time.
- The research tasks I have completed have all been fascinating and have shown me the wide variety of clients PHA-Media have. Every day has been different!
- Knowing that I enjoy writing, Emily (from E&B) set me some blog posts to write for some of The PHA Group’s clients. Understanding when to use a different tone and language style has been incredibly useful!
This internship exceeded my expectations and taught me some invaluable lessons. Notably, to succeed in PR you need to be determined and enthusiastic. A month ago, I was feeling anxious about graduating in a year’s time knowing I’d be entering the ‘real world’. Now I feel like a future career in PR could hopefully be on the cards and that is all testament to what I have experienced at PHA. Thank you everyone!
P.S. influenced by the mini project I was set, my parting gift to the E&B Team is a survival kit